Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why I Wear Mens' Socks

Last Christmas, I went shopping with my BFF at Target.  While there, she went to look for some mens' socks for her husband as a stocking stuffer.  (Ain't it great getting older? Our husbands used to get candy, now they get socks.)  Anyway, she started picking out an assortment of masculine colors: blue, gray, black, etc.  And it suddenly hit me.  Not everybody wears white socks.

Anyone who knows me really well knows two things: 1) I am ALWAYS wearing socks, because my feet are always cold, and 2) my socks are ALWAYS white.  (I don't mean that they're blindingly-clean white, I mean they are *meant* to be white.  Sometimes white socks can be a little tired-looking.)

Anyway, on that Target shopping day, I revealed a little-known secret about me and my husband.  One day, more than 10 years ago, we both decided that matching socks out of the dryer was a real drag.  Laundry is enough of a chore, but finding the match to every single sock in a load - UGH!  And there are *always* mismatched socks. Always!  I used to have a whole drawer dedicated to "lone" socks.

So we decided to ditch all of our socks, and buy several packs of the same sock at Costco.  In short: there is only ONE kind of sock in our house.  White athletic Costco socks.  We both wear 'em.  You could fold our laundry in the dark.

So that, folks, is why I wear mens' socks.  And yes, it may have been the first step on a slippery slope to the fashion doldrums in which I have resided for quite a while now.  But that's a story for another post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment