Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Two (and a half) successes

OK folks!  Time for a couple of updates.

First off: I have now successfully made yogurt not once, but TWICE!  Woohooooo!  Awkward Mom was right; the first time was for learning what NOT to do.  Now, I stand in front of the oven and don't wander off if I need to make temperature adjustments.

Secondly: wool diaper covers!  This one I'm only counting as half successful.  I put Katie in the wool cover overnight, and surprisingly, it did work pretty much as advertised.  When I went to get her in the morning, the smell of pee/ammonia didn't melt my face off the way it used to with a regular diaper cover. With wool, I didn't really smell anything until I started peeling off her layers.  Underneath the wool cover, there was definitely some stink.  But whatever, I tossed the diaper in the pail and all was well.  Then I let the wool cover air dry.

The cover didn't air out in one day, so I'd have to buy - and lanolize! - at least one, maybe two more covers to keep this little scheme going.  That's why I'm only calling it a half success. But it did air out by the following night.  I was quite shocked.  It smelled quite unmistakably of pee when I took it off her, but after a day and a half, I couldn't smell a thing!  And I was really brave and put my nose right up to it!

So I guess I'll use the wool cover every other day.  Half a win.  If anyone has an overnight cloth diaper system that they love, give me a shout!  ;)


1 comment:

  1. Heck, it sounds like a full success to me; anytime pee smells go away is a success in my book!

    And congrats on the yogurt, I am totally impressed by that one!

    ReplyDelete